Is there anything better than a big plate of carbs? We think not.
How about silky sheets of pasta, dressed in a buttery emulsion, tossed with crushed walnuts and topped with a just cooked egg yolk? Perfection.
Of course you could make fresh pasta, but buying store bought fresh lasagna sheets works just as well (and great if you're in a rush). And we promise this will really wow your guests, while being simple and easy to make.
Read on for our recipe of silk handkerchief pasta with butter and walnut sauce.
Easy Silk Handkerchief Pasta with Butter and Walnut Sauce
- 3 packets fresh lasagna sheets (you'll want 24 sheets in total) - find these in the refrigerated fresh pasta section of your local supermarket
- 250ml vegetable or light olive oil
- 4 egg yolks
- 100g walnuts, pan toasted and roughly chopped
- 200g unsalted butter
- Grated parmesan to serve
- To make the confit egg yolks, add the oil to an oven proof dish or pan and carefully drop the yolks in, ensuring they are fully submerged by the oil. Place into a preheated oven at 65c (55c fan forced), and cook for 55 minutes.
- Cut the lasagna sheets into squares using a pastry cutter if you have one (for the nice ribboned edge!)
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to boil, and cook the sheets for 2 minutes or until al dente.
- At the same time, heat the butter in a saucepan, spooning in a couple of tablespoons of the pasta cooking water to create an emulsion. Throw in the toasted walnuts, continuing to whirl the emulsion as it cooks.
- Add the pasta directly to the butter emulsion, tossing together to ensure the sheets are coated with the buttery sauce.
- Distribute between four plates. Using a slotted spoon, carefully top each dish with a confit egg yolk and serve with a grating of parmesan.